Monday, November 23, 2009

The School of Athens

Art is often very much a reflection of society, and people can learn a lot about their history by studying art from times such as the Renaissance. Sculptures, architecture, and specifically paintings show people's lifestyles and traditions, and in a beautifully crafted painting you are able to break it apart and see something about the society of the people in every piece. In paintings with people in them, you can see what they do, the way they act, their overall mood (serious, joyous, etc), their social rankings and what they surround themselves with (art, educational, etc.). An exemplar painting of this is the Renaissance painting 'The School of Athens'. In it, you notice that the people are wearing bright but soft colored 'togas'. Most appear to be working on educational subjects - as you can see Euclid showing his students something using a compass, as well as, above Euclid, Ptolemy, a famous mathematician, astronomer, astrologer and geographer, with a globe in his arms. Everyone is working on some form of education. All this presents the atmosphere of a busy, serious, educational environment. The architecture of the painting is Roman, with added sculptures of Athena, god of wisdom (right) and Apollo, god of the Sun (left). These all represent the culture and time period of the painting, and the people in the painting. In general, it is often that you will find, in art, at least a hint of what society was like in the time period the work of art was constructed. Without art, people may not have learned as much about their history as they know now



I believe that I would make the character of Apollo in The School of Athens. Apollo is a Greek and Roman god, recognized as being a god for many things; light and the sun, truth and prophesy, archery, medicine and healing, music, poetry, and more. In personality I consider myself to be truthful, respectful and generally a bright, happy person. I've always had the comfort of being mostly healthy, and always loved music, and most things that have rhythm to them. Apollo always controlled the health of people (good or bad), and is associated with dominion. He is never the one to be influenced, for he is the one influencing people. In ways, I am alike. I do not control other people, for I am normally pieceful, but I am never commanded by other people if I do not wish to be; I'm a very independent person. He was also protective of what was his, and I am defensive of some of my belongings. Though he has traits which do not coincide with mine, Apollo and I are in various ways alike.








No comments: